Sunday, September 7, 2014

Differences in Learning

The video we watched about Autism and differences in learning, really helped me understand what Autism is and how it works. Before I watched the video I had no idea what it was really like having Autism. I thought of it as just a disability that made learning harder. But know (after watching the video) I think of it barely a disability. Yes, it does make learning difficult for some people but it also gives people a chance to be really passionate about something in particular. Once they find the thing they are most passionate about small details most of us overlook they would notice. I have a cousin that has Autism named Guy. We recently just spent a week with him, and my Aunt and Uncle this summer. This was our first time being around Guy for more than a few days during the holidays. While we were staying with them it was very clear what things Guy was most interested in. These things included, movies and music, but also he is very good at remembering the exact spot where places (shops, restaurants, etc.) are located. Guy can remember every character in every movie he owns, the characters real name, how old they were when the movie was made, their age now, year when the movie was made, and certain lines they spoke in the movie. After watching the video on differences in leaning it made me think more about all of these things my cousin was great at remembering/learning and helped me understand why.

5 comments:

  1. I really like that you were able to make a connection to your own life, and that we think similar about the situation. You used enough details to make it interesting, but not too many as to bore the reader. You have great writing potential! Happy Blogging. Ha. That punctuation panda...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you said Autism isn't really a disability. You're right. It's just a different way of thinking than what we're used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Emma, I really like how you made a connection with your own life. Also knowing how it effects him makes me understand a little more about the topic and the thinking process. I find it really cool how they just know/remember all those little facts that most people would just overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took the words right out of my mouth! I also didn't know exactly how Autism effect someone and now I barely think of it as a disability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was really cool how you connected it your life, and it was really awesome hearing someone talk about the fixations autistic people have in real life.

    ReplyDelete